Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Christmas Questionnaire

I just got some fairly sad news about some friends of ours who will be moving away come Spring.  Ugh.  It gets so frustrating building relationships from scratch only to have them leave and start all over.  This will be my 4th set of friends in 4 years. Unfortunately, Nashville is notorious for this since most folks aren't locals anyway, so it doesn't take much for folks to move on to the next place.

In trying to cheer myself up before attending our Home Group Christmas Party tonight, I thought I'd do this little Christmas Questionnaire I found floating around the blog-world.


1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Both! I can't possibly decide between the two, especially after making some homemade marshmallows and white chocolate dipped peppermint sticks! 

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrapped! Are you kidding me?! Who just sits them out? When I was a kid, they were wrapped, numbered and opened one at a time in order around the room! haa!  I might subject my own children to this torture myself someday :-)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Growing up, our house & tree usually always had multi colors, but I do remember a time when I was very little and we had a pink-themed tree and then one year a blue-themed tree. Or did I just dream that one up? Jason and I use white lights on our tree and red & white lights on the house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Sorta.  I have a fake mistletoe ball thingy that we hang between the dinging and living room.  

5. When do you put your decorations up? Tradition is to go out the day after Thanksgiving & pick out our tree.  Then the following day we decorate it, while watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation & sipping Jason's homemade mint hot cocoa. That movie just never gets old.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Hmm....do I have to choose? I love my mom's turkey, it's so moist.  I also love the sugar cookies I make every year. 

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? It would have to be spending Christmas in Montana with my cousin Tina & her family.  The snow was so deep and we rode snow mobiles, horses, and sat by the fire.  It was incredible. And that year I got a Nintendo, which I had been dying to have!

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? No idea. It's blocked.  Along with half my childhood. Sucks.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Of course!!  My family's tradition is to open stockings and one gift on Christmas Eve after the Christmas Eve service with sparkling apple cider. 

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Since I've lived on my own, I've collected red, white & silver ornaments and have used white lights.  I guess until we have kids, that's probably how we'll keep it.  I just think it's so classic and pretty looking. 

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? Love it!  As long as there's lots of it to prevent me from going into the office.  When there's just a little, then it just gets really muddy and gets my hopes up.

12. Can you ice skate? I'm thinking so?  It's been a while. Ooohhh, that's a fun idea we could do as a family when I'm home!!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? It was either the cabbage patch kid, the keyboard or the Nintendo.  I was equally excited for all three growing up.

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? It's celebrating the birth of Christ and the time I get with my family and friends.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? I kinda covered this with the frosted sugar cookies!  Yum!! 

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? There are so many, there's no possible way I could choose.

17. What tops your tree? A pretty silver star.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? Giving for sure.  I just get so darned stressed out about what to give people, cause I want it to be perfect.  This year we drew names for the first time and its taking everything in me not to run out to the mall and go buck wild breaking the rules

19. Candy canes: yuck or yum? I like them with other things, like crushed up in peppermint bark,  sprinkled on a dessert, or soaked in a cup of hot chocolate!

20. Favorite Christmas movie? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and While You Were Sleeping (though I only watch that one with my family).

21. Saddest Christmas song? I'm not exactly a Christmas song lover, so I can't really answer this one  (I know, I know).

22. What is your favorite Christmas song? Oh geez, again with the Christmas music.  I've recently discovered Pandora's Indie's Holiday Music station and I'm starting to appreciate some Christmas songs.  I wouldn't say I have a favorite one yet, but they're growing on me!  So that's something right? 


Ahhh, that worked.  I feel a little better now.

1 comment:

Rachel Sarah said...

That was fun to read, Kimmers. Glad it cheered you up. :) I decorate my tree with the same color scheme. This year, I tried to leave off the red for something different, but John asked "where's the red? don't we need some red?" I guess it's a tradition now.