Saturday, November 29, 2008

Happy Daring Bakers Day!!

I've once again joined up for the monthly challenge of Daring Bakers! This time we were asked to take on Shuna Fish Lydon's Caramel Cake. I LOVE me some caramel, so this recipe had my attention!

The hosts of this month challenge were Dolores of Chronicles in Culinary Curiosity, Alex of Blondie and Brownie and Jenny of Foray Into Food.

I have to admit the challenge itself was a bit frustrating to me. I didn't feel the recipe was completely clear on the details and therefore struggled my way through some of the steps. For example, right off the bat I burned the caramel! Yuk! So then I tried round two on the caramel and it came out delicious, but only because I didn't cook it as dark as the instructions said. Then I got confused on a couple other things, but that may have been more a user(baker) error - uh, me. Anyway, I'm not all that pleased with the results though Jason claims they're delicious. The caramel browned butter frosting was just too sweet for me and I like more of a light buttercream. And I felt the cake was a bit too dry as well. Just way too much work for this cake.

But alas, the challenge is complete and they turned out looking pretty cute! :-)
Looking forward to next month's challenge!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty cupcakes! I really liked the cake but I agree the frosting was super sweet and I added about a teaspoon of salt!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Too bad this cake was not your favorite. The cupcakes look great!

Anonymous said...

Regardless of whether you liked the final outcome, your cupcakes look amazing. We agree on one thing, I didn't care for the cake all that much either. Still great job.

Unknown said...

Love your cupcakes...sorry you didn't like the icing. I loved it!