Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My New Obsession - GlossyBox June 2012

So I'm becoming obsessed with all things face/hair/skin products. I've always enjoyed makeup and can remember how fun it was as a little girl to dig through my aunt's collection of Mary Kay while visiting at her house. But because of how expensive trying out new products can often get, I rarely try something outside of the box! (no pun intended) Back in my single days, I would save up for a weekend trip to Vancouver BC with my sisters and splurge on MAC and Lush products.


It not only saved me money with the currency exchange, but the rush I would get from buying all these yummy smelling and sparkly pretties would keep my adrenaline going for days. Since I've been married and now living in Nashville, it's pretty much been a drugstore budget ever since. And there's just nothing worse than realizing you've blown $12 on a sucky foundation or mascara. Ugh. So I do what I do best and I started researching. I was reading makeupalley.com all the time and taking notes of the best reviewed products out there. Then I discovered the lovely ladies of YouTube with all their eye-opening insight to proper application, tips and tricks. I was HOOKED. While visiting one of these ladie's YouTube channel (Imogen of Foxy Locks), I saw her review on a monthly subscription service called GlossyBox.  She's actually in the UK, so I quickly googled to find out if there was anything like this in the U.S.  Sho-nuff!  I was able to get on the waiting list before it was even started here, and within a few weeks I received my first Glossybox!!

Isn't it pretty?! It seriously comes all wrapped up just like that! Love!
It didn't take much, because now I'm completely smitten with this service!  My first box arrived like this:
In it I received the following 5 Sample/Travel/Full Size high-end products to try out, along with 1 bonus item:

1. ShowOff Mascara by BeautyAddicts - valued at $22 (full size included - .39 oz.)

Review: I freakin love this mascara.  It stays all day, doesn't smudge or flake and is super rich and moisturizing to my lashes, which probably has something to do with the argan oil in it. Some ladies really complained about the clumping issue - and quite honestly the way the tube & brush is designed, a lot is left on the wand and unless you scrape the excess back into the tube, it will clump all over the place. But it is soooo worth it.  I would definitely repurchase again.

2. Marula Whipped Shea Butter Body Creme by SheaTerra Organics (Included sample size - 1 oz) - $18.00 for regular size (9oz.)

Review:  This stuff looks like creamy Avocado, and smells like heaven. I could eat it with a spoon. And a little goes a long way, so seriously the sample size is more than enough to decide if you like it.  I have a ton left and love that I can keep it in my desk or in my purse. It smells like buttery pecans and almonds.  Yuuuuum. Yet another product I was seriously happy about and totally love.  They have a white chocolate hand/body cream that I just might have to order soon!


3. Enrich Moisturizing Treatment by Wella Professionals (Included sample size - .84 oz)  $12.00 for regular size (5.07oz)

Review: Again, a winner!! I got three uses out of this little sample and I really enjoyed it!  It smelled wonderful, moisturized really well and was suited perfectly for my fine hair.  It didn't weigh my hair down, left no reside and my hair was so soft that I would walk around the office asking my friends to feel it.  I would repurchase this again as well.  Highly recommend!

4  Restructure Firming Cream by Kinerase (Included sample size .24 oz) $98.00 for regular size (1.7 oz)

Review.  Um, what the heck? Seriously what exactly am I restructuring with this stuff? I've used a few times now and there's still a lot left in the sample, and it doesn't smell that great and I don't notice any difference. Not really sure what I'm supposed to be noticing anyway and there's no way in hell I'm paying $98.00 for a full size pot of this.  I guess it's for creating collagen and firming around the eyes, reducing wrinkles, blah, blah, blah. Not a fan.

5. Smooth Shave Cream by First Aid Beauty $7.50 (Included full size - 2 oz).

Review: Again, kinda meh about this one.  Cute packaging, smelled decent enough, pretty shimmery shave lotion, but really didn't think it did that great of a job.  Quite honestly, it was so slick that it didn't really stick to my skin, it just kinda slid off which was so pointless when trying to shave. Not a fav and won't be repurchasing.

* Bonus Sample - Urban Organic Perfume Sample by A Perfume Organic (Included sample size - vial 1 ml.)  $65.00 for full size roll-on bottle (12ml.)

Review:  Honestly (I'll always be honest on these reviews), it smelled like a hippy with dirty socks on.  Blech! Nuff said.

When you sign up with GlossyBox you fill out a personal profile indicating your style, preferences and skin/hair type.  So far everything they've sent me has been right on the money. That doesn't necessarily mean I've loved everything, but there's nothing that I haven't been able to test out or doesn't fit my style & preferences.  You pay $21 a month and they select out of a variety of samples and sometimes full-size products 4 items for your box and throw in a bonus free sample. Some items that I did not receive in my box are the following:

1. Mineral Botanic Hibiscus & Fig Velvet Cream Wash by Ahava (Sample Size - 3 oz) valued at $22 for full size (17 oz). (Actually glad I didn't receive this one, since many folks received theirs spilled all over their box. Yikes.)
2. Eye Shadow Ice by Ofra Cosmetics (Sample Size - 14 ml.) valued at $17.50 for full size (.47 oz) (None of these colors are really me, so I'm glad I didn't receive this one either - it's like they read my mind!)
3. Lite Up & Buying Time & Eye Never by VBeaute valued at $150.00 (Lite Up) for full size (1.0 oz); $135.00 (Buying Time) for full size (1.7 oz); $85.00 (Eye Never) for full size (0.5 oz) The sample sizes were little tubes (.033 oz each). (Again, I would never purchase this stuff at full price anyway - HOLY CRAP $150.00?!?!, so I don't mind not receiving this either.)
So there's my first review of GlossyBox!  July's GlossyBox review coming up soon!

*The products in this review was provided specifically for the purpose of writing a review. This in no way effects the quality of the review provided. No monetary exchange occurred in exchange for the writing of the review. The views expressed in this review are strictly that of the reviewer. All reviews provided here are the work of the reviewer and remain completely unbiased. *

No comments: